5 ways your house can kill you

 We spend most of our time indoors, mostly in our homes. We feel safe in our homes thinking that four walls are enough to keep us away from any danger. But, they are ways that a house can kill us while we are inside.

Mold is one way that your house can kill you

Mold is a parasitic fungus that multiplies by microsporus. Moisture, warmth and darkness are the factors that favor the growing of mold. This is why it will most often appear in the bathroom, kitchen, but also along the walls that have not been properly plastered. Mold can appear on almost any type of surface, from wood to plaster, from carpet to plastic, from glass to concrete. Of course, some materials such as concrete, ceramics or plastic favor the growth of fungi in rare cases.

Walls are the main source of mold. Covering them with tiles or panels can be a decorative, durable and hygenic solution. Aside from this you can hide wall flaws, make dull walls impressive and provide protection to the walls. Try gypsum, wood, MDF, leather, bamboo, fabric, PVC, glass, metal, stone or the very eco-friendly sugarcane fiber.

Try to choose 3D panels as they are water, fire and humidity resistant. They are very durable and do not develop mold even if they are used in bathrooms or kitchens. The 3D panels are suitable in rooms with up to 80% humidity. 3D panels are also the new trend in wall covering and lead the interior design to another level, according to xtdeco blog.

The presence of mold spores in your home can lead to many health problems. The most common are allergic reactions and irritations that occur as a result of inhaling spores or touching contaminated surfaces. Allergic reactions may occur in the form of allergic rhinitis: sneezing, nasal discharge, red eyes and irritation of the skin. The severity of the symptoms depends on the degree of exposure to the spores and on the sensitivity of each individual organism.

According to CDC (Centers for Diesase Control and Prevention) exposure to mold or dampness may also lead to development of asthma in some individuals. Interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce

Paint fumes

Most traditional paints used in our house continue to release VOC (volatile  organic compounds) for years. Accumulation of these emissions in enclosed spaces can lead to headaches and breathing problems. If there are any health problems – allergies, asthma or respiratory conditions – they can be aggravated by the presence of VOC emissions.

VOC sources are not just found in paints, furniture or parquet finishes with solvent-based products. Sometimes there are home care products, cosmetics, air fresheners and adhesives. We never think they could contain substances that affect us, and we should be careful about what the companies write on labels.

Extension cords

A bedroom or a living room must have an average of 3 to 4 sockets. Although this is sufficient for most situations, an increase in the use of computers, smartphones, smart TVs and other electric appliances has led to increase of  the number of sockets needed in a room.

Externsion cords often provide a quick and easy solution, but in fact these are often abused and may present a very real danger. Broken or very used extension cords can cause electric shocks, severe burns or even fires.

Always check the extension cords for burns, sounds or high temperature. For safety replace the faulty or burned cables, sockets or plugs.

Carbon monoxide 

The carbon monoxide (CO) is also called the “silent killer” because it can not be detected by human senses. It does not smell, taste and iit cannot be seen, and is toxic to humans and animals.

The symptoms that occur in his presence are tiredness and headache (similar to a basic flu). If the carbon monoxide level exceeds the allowable level in the room, the inhabitants fall unconscious and never wake up.

Carbon monoxide can be produced from any equipment that does not have the correct combustion or has blocked discharge

Leaking air conditioning 

The air conditioning appliance in our home use freon as a refrigerent. This compound can not be detected if the appliance is leaking because it has no smell.

Freon is particularly toxic to the body. The pathway of penetration of freons into the body is usually pulmonary, with distribution in all organs (especially brain and liver). Skin rash, cracked skin, respiratory / lung and liver problems may occur.

Creating an environment in which your family feels protected and safe should be the first thing on your list of priorities after reading the ways your house can kill you.

Photo credit: Pexels

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *